James Madison, and to have been taken from the White House just before the building was burned during the War of 1812. The Hoover regime, returning the billiard table to the lending manufacturers, as billiard tables had been lent and returned since Adams II [John Quincy Adams], made this quiet room, protected by the corridor screens, into a consulting room for household and executive officials.
The billiard-room was short-lived however, having been installed during the Arthur Administration and abandoned at the coming of [Theodore] Roosevelt, who did not find the game strenuous enough for him.
But until 1929, it had historically been used as a billiard room by many presidents, and occasionally for doctors' visits. The simple sandstone mantel was made from stone removed during the Truman renovation of the White House.
Chief Usher Ike Hoover wrote of Harrisons' enjoyment of the billiard room: To the right of the fireplace is a chest of drawers with a serpentine front made in Philadelphia about 1765.The White House is the 'N***a' House on Google Maps ... We're Working On It, Says Google - TMZ
After TR renovated the basement into a useable ground floor, the room was again used for billiards by Wilson and Coolidge. Hoover wrote: Attributed to the same cabinetmaker is the mahogany easy chair with square, upholstered back.
The fact that this room was located in the then very dirty and unsightly basement did not prevent the family from spending many happy hours there. A rare 1755 French version of a map charted by colonial surveyors Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson Thomas Jefferson's father hangs on the east wall, covering a case of world maps presented by the National Geographic Society.
The room was decorated in 1970, and again in 1994, as a sitting room in the Chippendale style, which flourished in America during the last half of the 18th century.
President Clinton reviews designs for his official portrait in his final days in the White House in 2001, looking southeast.
It now serves as a private meeting room for the president or the first lady. Ladies' Lavatory The Map Room provides access to a ladies' lavatory. President Nixon discusses China in 1972 Corbis - Bettman.
Above it hangs the last situation map prepared in this room for President Roosevelt, on April 3, 1945. The ladies as well as the men took part in the games and, to all appearances, became quite expert.
On it rests a medicine chest that is believed to have belonged to President and Mrs. The handsome, walnut high chest of drawers on the south wall was made in Philadelphia about 1770 and has shell carvings on its pediment and apron and the knees of its cabriole legs.